Friday 14 March 2014

Character Design- Mary the Heroine

It was very fun researching the costume for this character.  Since "classical" pirates were around 1650s-1720s, I chose a german style outfit of a working class woman in that time range.  I had a hard time getting personality from my references (that were all paintings in that era) so I had a hard time getting her character.  You can see in my sketches I was trying to go for an in between of "Mother Bear" and "Crazy tough lady".
Concept sketches were also difficult, I wanted to show strength with dynamic poses but I kept going too extreme making my character very insane looking.  

My final piece, the heroine- Mary.  She's representation for all the mom's out there who has this superwoman inner strength but also the loving tenderness of a saint.  Really enjoyed pairing her up with my last character, Ape a pirate she feeds to help her get her baby back!  

No comments:

Post a Comment